Tuesday, August 23, 2005

barometer


I'm Feeling: a good balance between pressure and motivation
Background Noise: God Only Knows by The Beach Boys

Some people are really good at reading situations, being a people - barometer - noticing others' body language, sensing stress and things like that. I don't know if I'm good at it, but I certainly like to try. Most of the time, it's really fun, and you learn a ton from sitting back and watching. However - sometimes, it can get me into "trouble." I'll read too much into a certain encounter or notice the body language of someone who doesn't communicate physically. I'm not going to stop doing it, but I do need to learn that I'm not always right. :) I guess I'm not quite the expert I'd like to think I am.

An update on my Monday - although I was a little stressed out around lunchtime, and really tired at the end of the day - I did enjoy myself. I met six new students yesterday afternoon and had a good time with them, and after work went to a picnic for YoungLife and WYLdLife in Mason and got to see lots of awesome families - faces I knew, faces I didn't. It was really fun to sit and talk to the girls, too. I'm awed by how much things have changed in a year. I truly am blessed to have the friendships of these middle school ladies. So... day one of my busy week - I would say I was pretty stinking successful at having a good time.

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I'm terrible at reading other people. I think I'm just lazy. I don't take the time to try to understand others. My husband, on the other hand, can read me (and others) like a book. Sometimes it's annoying at how he can tell what I'm about to say or think even before I've even formed the thought in my own head.

-Julie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your Monday wasn't too bad. It looked as if you rose to the occasion in my book... but I don't know how well I read people either. Depends if I'm looking, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll admit I'm good at it. Unfortunately, I'm not good at responding to that communication. What I wouldn't give to be articulate sometimes!