Thursday, March 23, 2006

storage?

I'm Feeling: a little used, but that's OK
Background Noise: Word of God Speak by Big Daddy Weave

Most days, I really like my job. There's a lot that's fun about it - I have autonomy, I get to meet all kinds of people, I can watch students progress through their time in college. However, yesterday and today I've run into one of the things that is hard for me about the job. Advisers tend to be a catch-all, first and last stop for concerns. A lot of the time, that means that students come in and complain, rant, rave, vent... and the problem isn't me. It's someone else, and there's nothing I can do about it. That frustrates me - I want to be able to help, and it's not that much fun to talk to someone who is massively irritated at someone else. This morning I realized that it's just part of the job - I need to not take it personally when students come in crabbing and yelling about stuff. It can be hard not to feel like a landfill or storage unit - just there to be a place to leave unwanted stuff behind. But a lot of the time, people just need someone to listen to them. MSU is a big place, and it probably feels a lot more productive to vent to a person who works here than to just sit and complain to your roommate. In reality, I'm blessed to be able to serve as an outlet, give students some release and a sympathetic shoulder. I hope I can do that well for them.  Posted by Picasa

0 thoughts: