Tuesday, November 11, 2008

fresh and clean

I feel the need for a little "freshening up."

And not just because I haven't showered yet today.

I'm feeling the need because I'm starting to get that fuzzy feeling... you know how your mouth starts to feel fuzzy when you need to brush your teeth, or your eyes begin to feel fuzzy when you're exhausted because your baby has decided sleep is for weaklings... or you know, just tired for other, normal reasons. That fuzzy feeling is a symptom, an indication that something (or things) needs to be swept up, cleared out, or refocused.

And although both of those things (need to brush teeth AND the amazing non-sleeping baby) are also true of me right now (yup, I've just painted you a most delightful and irresistible picture of myself - don't you all want to come hang out with me RIGHT NOW??)... I'm talking more about the need for a mental freshening up. My brains have been feelin' a wee bit fuzzy, folks.

Now... the fuzzy teeth are easily fixed by a good swipe with a toothbrush and swish with mouthwash. Fuzzy eyes due to lack of sleep... not quite as easy, but in the absence of suddenly and magically being able to coerce (I mean coax) my baby into sleeping all night long - a little Visine may go a long way toward making me feel better.

But what to do about cranial fuzziness?

Here's my plan:
1. (Continue to) Spend some time talking with friends. Just chat about life, hear about their lives, talk about shopping or politics or books or kids - whatever floats the boat, I say. It's like calisthenics for the social part of my brain. The part of my brain that's losing muscle mass by the day due to the fact that I spend 99.9% of my time talking to a 9-month-old.

2. (Continue to) Spend time with God. Every day. This is relatively easy, once I get the habit down, because the payoffs are generally immediate and undeniable. My day is different when it has a heavenward focus. 'Nuff said.

3. Ease up on myself. (The hardest one of all, for me) However, once a week, I've taken to writing down ever' blessed thing I do. All day. And the list, it may not be New York Times Bestseller - level reading... but it's long. So what if "change diaper" is listed 7 times, or if I "cleaned up the living room" for the 4th time before 3:00pm? The point is - at the end of my day, I can see that I did a lot for my home and my family. And while much of the world may not see a whole heap of value in what I did... I do. On paper, written in my own handwriting, the value of those things helps rinse away a bit more fuzziness.

Now then... I'm still sitting here barefoot in my fuzzy gray robe, needing a shower, a teeth-brushing and some Visine... and there's a baby on the floor, chattering to herself while she fills up her diaper. The fount of my eternal wisdom must cease its flow for a bit... depressing, I know.

Until I return to spout more pearls of deep-deep thought-provoking thought all over the internet... anyone else got some great tips for gettin' rid of that fuzz?

2 thoughts:

Courtney said...

I love the idea of making a list of what I've done during the day. That would definitely make me feel more productive! I do make mental lists of what I've done, and when I actually make out a list of things I need to do, I will often include things I've already done just so I can cross them off. *grin* Sad, but true.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like you have a lot of stuff to do but a lot of it sounds like a lot of fun!! Have a great day!