Tuesday, December 02, 2008

effective v. efficient

Dear Amazon.com:

A package from you arrived on my doorstep last night - the kind of package only a strange, organization-obsessed gal like me would be eagerly anticipating. I had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of a laundry sorter (to be placed in the hallway just outside the laundry room so as to bring an end to the piling-up of random dirty textiles on the FLOOR. For some reason, I'm OK doing laundry for the house when I'm pulling it out of nicely sorted hampers... I have a strong negative reaction to picking dirty laundry up off the floor.)

Our friendly neighborhood UPS man set down the package, knocked loudly and simultaneously rang the doorbell (as only delivery men can do) before bolting back down our front steps. When I opened the front door to retrieve my package, I was stunned. Sitting upon my front stoop was a box the likes of which could have comfortably shipped ME around the world. What sort of laundry organizer was this??

Well, it turns out that I had in fact ordered a very normal sized item... but someone at Amazon.com got a wee bit overexcited at the packaging stage...

Behold:









Amazon - I value our relationship. I enjoy your low prices and speedy, often-free shipping. I am sure I will continue to order from you far into the future.

But SERIOUSLY - there is no need to send my laundry sorter (which is itself VERY efficiently and effectively packed in a nice, slim box) in a container the size of Texas, chock-full of brown packing paper. It seems like a bit of overkill.

Thank You.
~Katie

2 thoughts:

Phoenix Rising said...

that is hilarious!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Don't you just love it when they do things like this?! We ordered two lightbulbs the other day and you should have seen the box they came in. LOL!