Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ruminating...

I'm feeling: contemplative
Background Noise: radiator humming

Have you ever thought about how much time we spend trying to prove ourselves to others? It's kind of ridiculous, when you think about it...
For example, I am a type of person who likes to feel like I know what I'm doing. Not a big fan of looking/feeling stupid - although I am working on that, and am MUCH better than I used to be at accepting my own stupidity. :) However, I have to fight my natural tendency to explain things to people (just to prove that I know what I'm talking about) or give unnecessary/redundant input in conversations. Why do I feel the urge to do those things? It's just taking up time and airspace...
I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't care what other people think - because you can take that to an unhealthy extreme. I AM wondering about our self-centered desire to prove what good people we are.
Shouldn't my actions and my words speak to that - without having to "add" anything to the situation? When I open my mouth to prove how much I know, that just makes me look like a sort of condescending know-it-all, whereas if I had just kept my mouth shut, listened, and behaved myself, people might see for themselves what I know (or don't know). Although this seems like hard work sometimes (holding yourself back, biting your tongue), I am finding that it really saves energy and is way less stressful.
Granted, this can be hard to do when your JOB is to ADVISE people - I think sometimes the students I see wish I would give them more concrete answers - but I am big on people making decisions for themselves. I'm happy to provide input, and think through things along with someone, but I don't want to overstep any boundaries there.
Well, here's to being slow-to-speak... I'll keep you updated on my progress in this area.
Happy 2nd Birthday, Ashley Rider! And congrats to Scott and Heather - expecting another baby this fall!!

0 thoughts: