Thursday, February 24, 2005

there is a nerd inside all of us

I'm feeling: nerdy - and loving it!
Background Noise: Enough by Jeremy Camp, and my computer humming loudly as I import my favorite cds into iTunes

Every morning when I get to work, there are certain things I do. Some are obvious, like check my email, check my appointments for the day, and make myself some chai. Some are a little less normal, though, and I thought I'd let you in on some of the reasons I believe I am a nerd.
First, I like to make spreadsheets. I have some (maybe 5?) for work that are very helpful, but then I also have one for our budget, one for keeping track of my workout schedule, one for books I want to read, and one for vocab words from my word-a-day calendar. I know what you're thinking... but it gets worse. I like making them. They're color-coded and sized and lined up just so.
I also really am a school nerd - I'd love to get back into math - take Calculus II for fun. I honestly think I could be a student forever, and not because I loved college-life so much or because I don't like the working world... but because I honestly could think of things I would want to learn about for decades and decades.
To add to my list: I like jigsaw and crossword puzzles, I like to quilt and crochet and could spend hours (and much money) at Joann's and Michael's stores, I'm a country music fan, I love to re-read books, I like Broadway musicals and I sing along with the radio in my car, whether people are watching or not.
I just want to encourage everyone to embrace the nerd inside - those are the funny, quirky things about you that make you different from the people around you. It makes you unique and interesting... and surprisingly, it usually makes you more likeable. I love to hear about the nerdy things my friends and family like to do - it makes them human.
Huzzah for nerdy-ness!!

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... let's see - one of the nerdy things I have started doing lately is to come read your blogg about every other day on my lunch break ---- why? Because you have great thoughts and it reminds me there is life outside the school I teach in! :) hee hee. I need that some days! I also LOVE to sing in the car (though I do turn up the music loud so I can't hear myself as well), don't knock re-reading books, I am a total science nerd and I will watch Discovery channel and Animal planet as much as possible! I think demos are cool - I made and destroyed a magnet for my students yesterday and I thought it was cooler than they did. Yeah, that's about it for now. :)

Jamie said...

Sometime I'll show you the spreadsheet I made to use at my fantasy football drafts! :-)

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing your nerdyness!!