Monday, February 28, 2005

what did YOU do this weekend?

I'm Feeling: chilly
Background Noise: thoughts running through my head (okay, so no one else can really hear that...)

I got to hang out with a whole lot of middle school kids this weekend at a camp called Timberwolf Lake - it's in Lake City, MI (which is near Cadillac). TOTALLY FUN. I know most people think that sounds crazy, and couldn't be paid to spend nearly 48 hours straight in cabin with 16 6th and 7th grade girls, but I had an awesome time. We got to sing, scream, eat, play games, go tubing, perform in a talent show, and spend some time learning about our Creator. The best part was really hanging out with these girls - they are SO funny and loving and excited to hang out!!
Something I did NOT do very much of this weekend is sleep. So today, I'm feeling a little worn out - but in a good way.
On a separate note - I am thinking today about how different we all are (duh, Kate, right?) But seriously - have you ever done something for someone that you thought was soo nice and thoughtful, and they really didn't seem to care as much as you thought they would? Or when someone you love is upset, and you try to comfort them, but it doesn't work because you were thinking of what makes YOU feel better when you're upset, rather than what would make THEM feel better? I know this is a really basic idea - that we are all really different - but it makes such a strong impact on your life! Plus, it means that we never are allowed to stop learning about each other, at least, not if we want to be the best friends, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, spouses, etc... that we can possibly be.
I'm learning about becoming a "lifelong student" of the people I know - my friends and family mainly - so that I can learn to love them better, and not just sit around and be frustrated because "nothing I try is working" or "I just don't understand them." Maybe there's no way to ever really know someone completely, inside and out, but it certainly is rewarding (and appreciated) to try.

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!