Thursday, March 03, 2005

a day to celebrate

I'm Feeling: abundantly blessed
Background Noise: My Love is Your Love by Whitney Houston

Some people think birthdays aren't really a big deal. In a way, they're right - you haven't done anything to deserve presents on your birthday. But I do believe that there is a reason to celebrate the birthdays of people you love.

Twenty-nine years ago today, before I was even alive, my life changed forever. Mark William Burley was born at 4:44pm on March 3, 1976. Babies are born every single day, and the vast majority of them have little or no impact on our lives. But because a little boy came into our crazy world all those years ago - I am now living a life that gives me joy beyond my hopes and dreams. So today, I celebrate the birth of my husband and the journey of his life so far.

From the first conversation I had with Mark nearly six years ago - I have been captivated. Sometimes people with magnetic personalities can make those around feel unnoticed or unimportant - Mark has the ability to draw people to himself and make them feel valued simultaneously. His character is steadfast and he is deliberate and careful with his words and actions; he is at once silly and serious, relaxed and alert, playful and contemplative. Mark will allow you to tell stories he has heard a thousand times before, and enjoy the telling as much as he did the first time. His dreams are bigger than life and so is his heart - I am truly blessed to share my life with this man.

So here's to you, Burley. I cherish this day that brought me my beloved. Your birthday is reason to celebrate, and I wish you the happiest you could have.

2 thoughts:

Jamie said...

I'm not nearly as close to Mark as you are, but that sounded like an extremely accurate description to me! He's a good guy!

Anonymous said...

Well knock me down!!! That's the most touching thing I've read in a long time! It feels good to be loved!