Tuesday, July 12, 2005

it wasn't me


I'm Feeling: a little stressed out
Background Noise: Cold Cold Heart by Norah Jones

I had transfer orientation yesterday, which is always a joy (said sarcastically) - especially at this point in the summer because so many courses have been filled. It took almost 3 hours to enroll 10 students, which is not normal. Everyone seemed to be in a bit of a funk yesterday too - that happens sometimes where an entire group of people with no real connection seem to be having the same emotions running through them. Grumpy. However, everyone left reasonably satisfied and enrolled in courses that would count for their major. And yet I receieve a phone call this morning informing me that the mother of one student was yelling at other orientation staff, demanding that her daughter see an advisor individually, and telling people that I had refused to talk to her daughter one-on-one. Granted, this young lady was very confused about which major she should declare, and it turns out that PoliSci is almost definitely NOT the one for her... none of Angry Mom's accusations or stories were true. In fact, her daughter left the lab after speaking with me rather extensively about her requirements and major options, and she left with a smile on her face! It's amazing how quickly things get twisted around. At any rate - that's a really deflating way to start the day, even where there is little to no truth in what someone else says about you.

I'm trying to refocus and readjust my perspective - but I really just feel like napping. Why does mental/emotional upkeep always seem to sap my energy? Ah well... just a few more hours. I got to work early today, so I'm heading out early - I like days like that!!

0 thoughts: