Friday, August 05, 2005

willie wonka


I'm Feeling: a little lightheaded from the paint fumes in our hallway
Background Noise: New York State of Mind by Billy Joel

My family (mom, dad and sister) are coming to visit this weekend, which makes me excited because they haven't been up to MI since March. (Meg has, but she comes way more often than the parents). The trip will be a quick one - arriving on Saturday just before lunch and leaving on Sunday after breakfast... but it will be good to see them. I think we might head to the movies to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... I'm not sure how I feel about the previews I've seen - Johnny Depp seriously freaks me out a little, but it looks bright and fun. Hopefully it's a good time.

Sunday, Mark and I leave for Timberwolf Lake for WYLdlife camp - that should be a blast. I'm excited about it - get to see some kids I haven't really seen since May, have fun playing around, and watching them learn about Jesus. Sounds like a good week to me. And I'll get to see my friend Kelsey who moved to Grosse Pointe this summer - that will make me real happy too. Lots of good things going on - but I will be happy to have my life calm down a little - this summer involved a lot of traveling, a lot of busy-ness - and I love that, but I think my brain/heart/body need some downtime to rejuvenate and refresh. Then I'll come out swinging again. :)

Thought for the day: Everyone has a personality with things they'd like to change (or things others might like them to change). To what extent do you say "this is the way God made me, and He makes things exactly the way He wants them" and when is it appropriate to say "I'm called to be like Jesus, so that means working my entire life to grow and change and reach for that goal"? I love challenging myself to change, but it gets tiring sometimes... I sometimes struggle with giving myself a break v. not letting myself off the hook. Any thoughts?

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't have any good answers for that question. I usually feel some kind of conviction working in my soul when it's time to change. Sad answer I know but yea for WyldLife!!! I'm geeked!

Anonymous said...

I think that God is making and molding us into the person he wants us to be everyday. Not to say that he doesn't love us the way we are, but his goal for us is to be conformed to the image of his son. To do this he changes things little by little. I think that it comes about through conviction other people pointing it out and many other ways.

Anonymous said...

I was challenged by your question, and began to comment, and then kept writing. Forgive me for not writing on your blog, but I ended up posting my "longer than I thought it would be" comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I had some down time today and thought I'd catch up on your blog... but I forgot you're gone! I hope you're having another great week at camp!

As far as your deep question, it caused me to think. Although, I can't find words to respond.

Julie