Wednesday, November 02, 2005

songwriter

It's been a long time since I posted any of my original poems/songs...
Here is a new one, inspired by a conversation I had with some friends on Sunday night.

My Favorite Things
(to be sung/hummed to the tune of My Favorite Things, from The Sound of Music)

Dry roasted peanuts and hot apple cider,
Marshmallows cooked o'er a raging campfire,
Soft lullabies that the ocean waves bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Red leaves on the trees as we move into autumn,
The Yukon's seat warmers that heat up my bottom,
Great big loud thunderstorms and fierce lightning,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the traffic jams, when the alarm rings,
When I'm feeling stressed...
I simply remember my favorite things,
And they help me feel my best.

Mashed potatoes and gravy piled high like a boulder,
Resting my head on a comforting shoulder,
The first glistening snowfall that each winter brings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Nice work! I like that poem!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought twenty-five was a wonderful year for me. (Happy Belated Birthday, Mrs. B!)

By the way, when did the "tree of life" become a "barrel of pickles"? In a way, the new name suits you perfectly; either title, reading it'll still be as fun as a barrel of pickles (and I've got to say I love the new lyrics)!

P.S. Personally, in my book, deviled eggs are pretty rich. (Despite the name of the dish, I must say that the paprika has excellent qualities.) Maybe next Deviled Egg Day, I'll eat a plateful (because right now, mashed potatoes sound really good!). :)

Katie said...

I changed the name last week... it was time for something new, and "Barrel of Pickles" is one of my favorite funny things to say.

I think I would say that I like deviled EGG (not eggS, because one is about all I can handle)... I'll be sure to make you a plateful next November 2nd.

Thanks for the birthday wishes - and the reassurance of knowing that your 25th year went so well - now I know I have much to look forward to!!

Anonymous said...

Al, I don't know who you are but we are a lot alike! I was going to ask Katie about the name change too and boy, am I craving mashed potatoes!

Katie, I like the song!