Wednesday, December 06, 2006

changes and choices

I'm not sure why this has been on my mind lately, but I've been reminded of how easy it is to think that life is beyond our influence. I tend to let myself feel like I'm in a little boat on a VERY big ocean - waves push you around in different directions, and there's just not much to be done about that.
But I just don't think that's true. I may not have much control over the waves - the big events in my life - but I have every control over how I respond. When I was driving home yesterday, it occurred to me that I used to be a lot better about keeping my mindset positive and improvement-focused. That bummed me out. I'd really like to turn that around - and the cool thing is that I can just change my mind. I may have to remind myself of the change fairly frequently in the beginning... but it is possible.
Honestly, a big motivator for me is to be the kind of person that other people want to be around. I've been feeling overly busy and lonelier than usual, and it's easy to feel sorry for myself at those times. But I also know I'm not doing everything I can to be desirable company. No one really likes to hang out with someone who is whiny, or needy, or depressed or cynical. We like people who laugh, people who like us, people who look at life with hope and love, and people who want to serve those around them. I want to be that girl.
In summary... a quote that I find fairly compelling in this area:
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton (the fount of all wisdom) :)

0 thoughts: