Friday, November 14, 2008

it may not be music

As I sat at the kitchen table this morning, enjoying the mini-facial provided courtesy of my steamy mug of herbal tea, I listened to the quiet of the house. And as I paid attention to the tiny little sounds that a house makes when it thinks no one is listening, I got to thinking about some of my favorite sounds. So to kick off the weekend, I decided to leave you with a little list of some of my favorite sweet, sweet sounds.

Deep rumbly thunder and steady raindrops on the roof (best heard when snuggled up in a toasty blanket)

Fire crackling (when it's properly contained in a fireplace or firepit, of course)

The whistle of my teakettle - not only does it signal a delicious hot drink is on the way, but it actually has a sort of harmonic, two-tone whistle. Quite lovely.

The funky music that plays when my little sister calls my cell phone - she picked the ringtone, and I have no idea what it is. But it makes me smile.

Popcorn popping - it just sounds like good times are ahead.

The funny sing-song babbling of a baby waking up from a good sleep.

My hubby's voice on the other end of the phone line.

Hundreds of voices raised in worship to our Father King.

Someone (usually it would be Mark or my sister, but I'm not picky) saying, "Hey, you look like you could use a backrub." (And then, of course, actually giving me one. Not just simply being observant...)

"Have a good weekend." Because that means it's the weekend.

Have a good weekend, everyone! :)

0 thoughts: