Wednesday, March 16, 2005

patience is a virtue


I'm feeling: quiet
Background Noise: Adonai by Avalon

That's Mark, in our kitchen, waiting for a frozen pizza to be done cooking. We spent two years living in an apartment in the residence halls on campus at MSU - I was an Assistant Hall Director in Snyder-Phillips while I got my master's degree. We had no oven there, save our trusty toaster oven. So now, we enjoy small luxuries like oven lights and windows to watch the pepperoni pizza cooking in our own kitchen. The less it takes to make you happy, the happier you'll be!

Ever have someone ask you a question and not let you answer it? This happens a lot in my job - students come to see the adviser, "I was just wondering what you thought about _____" or "I'm really torn between _____" and "How do I know if I should _______?" Most of the time, it's fun to talk with students, and try to help them sort out the things that are going on, give them some options to think about, and hopefully make them laugh as well. Those are my standard goals. Sometimes, however, a student will come in, ask one or more of those questions, and only let me say about 4 words before s/he cuts me off. Occasionally, I'll keep talking, just to see if they notice that we are both chattering away at once. They never do. Moments like that really test my patience - I trip over my own pride and say to myself "Why ask if you don't want to hear the answer??" But the end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. Chalk that up to one more thing to be working on...

Thought for today: If you could eat only one food, and nothing else, for three days in a row, what would it be?

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Food for three days...... hmmm. Probably breadsticks - is that a food? If not, totally spaghetti - I LOVE spaghetti. Yeah, the south beach/atkins fad.... I don't do well with that.

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms.

Katie said...

Breadsticks are TOTALLY a food!! I love mushrooms, too, but I don't know if I could eat only mushrooms for 3 days...

Anonymous said...

No brainer... chocolate ice cream mixed with peanut butter and bananas!!!!