Wednesday, April 27, 2005

nothing but blue skies (and by blue, I mean gray)


I'm Feeling: a little under the weather
Background Noise: When You Love Someone by Bryan Adams

Here are some more flowers... it's another gloomy, chilly, wet day outside - but the weekend is supposed to be a little nicer, so maybe my flowers are doing the trick. Keep your fingers crossed!

I found out yesterday that my grandfather is in the hospital. He had a stroke about a year and a half ago, and has been in a nursing home ever since - he can't talk or move much anymore - but he's been doing well. He also had (has) prostate cancer, but when they diagnosed it, they said it wasn't really that life-threatening. I haven't heard the diagnosis yet today, but it sounds like the cancer has either spread, or some new cancer has popped up. It's really sad - I don't see him much anymore (they're about 5 hours away, in IL), but a lot of my childhood memories are set at my grandparents' house. I used to sit on his lap and read books, or even do nothing at all. And he always had a quarter or something for us when we came to visit, which is pretty stinking cool when you're 5 years old. He was a woodworker/carpenter, and I love that there are things in my house that he made - things that will always carry with them memories of my grandpa. I hope he's feeling better today. Nothing to do but wait.

Thought for the day: What is one of your favorite childhood memories/stories?

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I would vote for a vacation to New Zealand. Supposed to be beautiful, and not necessarily on the top of the average tourist list. :)

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie. Sorry to hear about your grandpa! That is to bad...just wait and pray, which I will be doing!! So a favorite childhood memory for me took place during a family vacation to the east coast. We were in Maine (Avadia National Park) and there was this bay because we were right by the water, so we went canoeing and kayaking. My brother and I were in the kayak and my mom and dad were in the canoe. My brother and I were relatively young and at one point we were convinved that the tide was taking us to the ocean. It was, but we were freaking out and screaming. The cool part is just watching our dad paddle the canoe over and direct us to where we needed to go. Kind of a picture of God huh?

Anonymous said...

We used to conduct our own summer olympics in the backyard of the Borke's house (next door). We had so many kids that lived around us! It was awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie I am so sorry to hear that! You, your family and your grandpa will be in my thoughts and prayers. Your grandpa sounds a lot like mine, he is a great woodworker and we have all sorts of fun things he made - from sheves to Christmas decorations. They are wonderful things to have from someone you love. Hang in there!