Tuesday, May 17, 2005

libraries


I'm Feeling: quiet
Background Noise: Paper Wings by Gillian Welch

I'm trying to build up a library of sorts in my office - resources for the students and for myself. I've officially finished my first full academic year as an advisor, and (in my own grand fashion) now have about 8000 ideas of what I can do differently/additionally to improve my performance. One area our department is sorely lacking is in its literary resources. Books about careers, academic majors, law school, grad school and beyond - all stuff that is pressing impatiently on the minds of the students I advise. Having tangible, visible teaching aids has proven helpful - so I'm trying to build up my collection. Slow but sure. (It'll probably never look like that picture - that's the Long Room at Trinity College in Dublin where the Book of Kells is housed).

Most of my appointments cancelled for today, so I'm getting to start putting into practice some of the crazy brainstorms I've had in the last few weeks. I have to sift through the inspiration to nail down the ideas that are plausible (meaning, I can accomplish them and still maintain a modicum of sanity). Wish me luck.

Thought for the day: Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously. Not a common warning, but for those of you who love pumpkin pie soo much you'd like to have an IV permanently attached - take note.

0 thoughts: