Monday, June 20, 2005

I'm about to go pro...


I'm Feeling: curiously hungry for 10 in the morning
Background Noise: Share the Well by Caedmon's Call

I got to try my hand (and feet, legs, arms and back) at skiing again this weekend - haven't done that since last fall. For those of you who don't know, my water skiing ability (or lack thereof) ought to be studied. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to get up on the skis... now, I can't figure out how to stay up. I'll last 15 seconds or so, maybe 30 on a good day, then I'm out. Mark says I'm really close, but since I'm clueless, it's hard to tell what I'm doing right or wrong. I just keep trying things until something works. I got to wear a wetsuit for the second time in my life yesterday though... always a treat. Makes you feel like a human sausage. (On a semi-related nerd note... I like typing the word skiing... very rarely do I get to put 2 i's next to each other).

Today I have to do transfer orientation. Not as much fun as freshmen, because they're crankier (lots of times, for good reason). The nice thing is that my part is in the afternoon, so I didn't have to be here EXACTLY at 8 this morning... even though I was. Funny how that works out. I also get to have lunch with Katie today - I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully the day will zip right by, and I'll jet home to relax and get some stuff done. I emptied one of the guest room closets yesterday - it needed to be cleaned out, but now it appears that the green room has vomited random books, papers and boxes all over itself. Sigh - these things always get worse before they get better, but it's a little depressing in the meantime.

Thought for the day: The average ear of corn has 800 kernels arranged in 16 rows. Makes it sound like a lot more food than it is. Does anyone know why it's called an "ear"?

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...not sure why it's called an ear, but your post prompted me to look around and I found this site:
Corn

Apparently you should add sugar when you're boiling corn on the cob because once it's picked it quickly transfers the sugar to starch and loses its sweetness.

You learn something new every day!