Monday, July 18, 2005

success


I'm Feeling: accomplished
Background Noise: I'll Be by Edwin McCain

See how big Kermit is smiling? That's what my heart (and let's face it, my pride) was doing this weekend, now that I can officially call myself a waterskiier. I've gotten up on skis before, but never long enough to say that I actually "skied." Although I'm proud of myself, I'm also minorly embarrassed, because I've never heard of another soul who had to try for SOOO long to get up on skis. Most people aren't that impressed when they hear about my accomplishment, because they either think "No biggie, I've been skiing since I was like 10," or simply because they don't understand the devastating process I've had to go through to get here. I could give you all kinds of reasons why it was so stinking hard for me to do (no upper body strength, I have a really high center of gravity, dancing since I was 3 has taught me to balance in my toes - which makes you fall over when trying to ski...) but I will spare you my excuses. Let's just say - after a couple hundred fruitless attempts - I have skied multiple times on Wixom Lake, am learning to navigate jumping the wake (totally fun, I just have a 50/50 chance of falling over when I do that), and that I like actually skiing significantly better than trying to ski. So much more fun it's not even funny.

I'm working on putting together my class for the fall today - I get to teach a freshman seminar called "So You Want to Go to Law School" and I'm pumped. But August is sneaking up on me faster than I was intending, so I have some catching up to do. This week is also the last week of AOP, which is fantastic! Life at work will hopefully start to return to normal soon - whatever that means.

2 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Nice job ski queen! You look like a pro out there!

Anonymous said...

Great job Katie! I too have tried to ski, at Wixom Lake actually, but have always failed. I don't have any good excuses like you though. And, I'll probably never try again. Gettin' too old :)

Julie