Monday, May 01, 2006

i'll just take half...

I'm Feeling: like I'm hanging on til I can take a break
Background Noise: Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan

Sometimes it's fun to cut things in half. Half-dollars are cool, because they're bigger than the average coin. Half-price sales are awesome because you can spend the same amount of money but get twice as much stuff. And half-birthdays are exciting when you work with people who think that's a good reason to head out to the Olive Garden for lunch AND bake a chocolate cake for you! That's what happened to me today, in case you were wondering. Jane, Kay, Jen and I eat lunch together fairly often (I'm the youngest of this group by about 18 years), and we realized a few weeks ago that we never went out for my birthday back in October (I hadn't noticed). Our remedy, which was met with wild approval, is to start celebrating half-birthdays in addition to "whole" birthdays. We get to eat out more often, and it means more cake, too. Everyone wins!

This weekend was great - exhausting, exciting, busy, funny, moving - the HOSA State Conference is always a fun time. I like the pace, the people - and it makes me puff up all proud when I watch my husband work so hard. He does an amazing job - the teachers and students really look up to him and appreciate his hard work and energy. It's cool to see people appreciate the same things you do in someone you love.

Back to work today - this is finals week at MSU, so I just gotta hang on for a few more days, and my office will become dramatically emptier. I'll be bored after a day or two, but right, it sounds heavenly.
Posted by Picasa

3 thoughts:

Julie said...

I'm glad that you had such a great time! I kept checking your blog and it would take me a few minutes to remember what was up this weekend. I missed you :)

Michael loves half dollars too. He's still learning the concept of money (do we ever grasp it?) and he thinks he has so much because he has 5 half dollars.

Anonymous said...

I must say I think you should add 1/2 days at school to your list. :)

I can't believe it is exam week at MSU! Unfortunatly, I have 6 more weeks to hang on until exams here. Both the kids and I are ready to be done. :)

Glad the HOSA states went well!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how you can celebrate your half birthday but it's twice as cool???