Thursday, June 08, 2006

good and faithful

Do you ever feel like it's totally unlikely that you could ever truly be used by the Lord to do amazing things?

I just started reading "Chasing Daylight" by Erwin McManus, and so far, it's really good - but it's also one of those books that makes me a little uncomfortable because it opens my eyes to how far I still have to grow. I love those kind of books (it's weird to love something that makes you uncomfortable, I know) - they always get me thinking.

The basic premise of the book is that we spend a lot of time waiting - not taking advantage of moments God gives us, watching life go by rather than living it - and often because we are afraid of making mistakes, of not walking in His will, or of not being good enough. This one hits a little too close to home for me.

I know it shortchanges God to think "He can't possibly use ME." He's GOD, right - He can do whatever He wants! It's cool to think that He planned it this way - to use vastly imperfect people to take part in extraordinary things in His name. I just want to get to the end and have God say "Well done, good and faithful servant." If I died today, I think He might say something more like, "Well, you were beginning to try to do what I wanted, well-intentioned and cautious servant." Not the same thing.

My goal is "Well done, good and faithful servant."

2 thoughts:

Coryell said...

Yeah! It's also a major boost to think that the perfect and all-power God of the Universe trusts us enough to want us to serve him. Remember how James was talking about how it was hard to work with people he didn't know, because they didn't trust each other. It's like that, except the trust problems are only on are end, because God knows and trusts us! God is a cool guy

Julie said...

Very good points. It's also encouraging to hear that other's feel the same way.

My day seems to be more fulfilling when I pay attention to the small promptings and not try to do a big thing on my own.