Wednesday, June 25, 2008

still my heart

There are many things about motherhood that have surprised me. Many of those things have brought me joy, a few have brought me to tears, and many have made me laugh. But one of the very coolest surprises about being a mom has been watching my parents love my baby.
It's kinda weird because I, you know, grew up with my parents. It's not as though I'm unfamiliar with them or their love. However, I don't really have a whole lot of memory from when I was, oh, four months old, so I had no idea what to expect, really. And as Hazel is their grandbaby and not their baby, things are a little different (or so I've been told). To be perfectly hoenst, I didn't really give it much thought while I was pregnant. I knew they were thrilled and excited, and I knew they'd love her. That was about the extent of it.
But seriously - I was not prepared for the way their eyes would light up when they see her. For the endless hours of holding her, talking to her, laughing because the pure joy that was bubbling up could not be contained... Such gentle care, such delight. It's absolutely indescribable to watch.
They think Hazey is the best thing since sliced bread, and it rips my heart wide open (in a good way). I pray that Hazel might someday catch a glimpse of how big their love for her really is.

2 thoughts:

Phoenix Rising said...

thank you for posting this. i needed to be reminded of how wonderful it can be to witness our parents with our children.

when my mom in law was here, i was climbing up the walls with frustration. all i wanted was for her to leave. but ya know, she loves my child and cried when she had to leave. looking back, i can see that she must have been a wonderful and caring mother to steve.

when i get emotional and frustrated with her, i need to remember how much she loves my son and all she wants is the best for him.

thanks for opening my eyes!

Julie said...

I love hearing Michael talk with my dad. It's amazing the conversations that they have together. It's so neat to see them hanging out together and enjoying each other. From him being a baby to now being 6 yrs. old it's a great thing to experience!